A Development Opportunity in St. Maarten
Initial pessimism in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma in September 2017 has dissipated. Damage sustained to the island's infrastructure is being repaired or rebuilt to new, higher standards. Existing resort & hotel properties are under recontruction, renovation & repair and exciting new projects have begun.
The St. Maarten government has approved the 35 acre Pointe Esprit site for a master planned, mixed-use development as outlined below:
- Residential, Duplex Homes - 22 units
- Residential, Cluster Homes - 145 units
- Residential, Single-family Detached Homes - 24 units
- Residential, Custom Executive Villas- 5 units
- Resort/Condominium/Fractional Ownership - 225 units
- Optional Office Park/Retail Center - 5 office buildings at 30,000 sq.ft. each
Water, electricity, telephone, high speed Internet and CATV are available at on the site.
(For more details, click downloads for "Design Guidelines & Development Standards" and "St. Maarten Document of Government Approval.")
The property is available for sale and can be subdivided.
Click onto Development Opportunities at Pointe Esprit for greater detail.
What You Should Know About St. Maarten Today
Post Irma St. Maarten is enjoying a renaissance. The tourists have returned, cruise ships are full, the economy is strong again and businesses are booming. Development potential is better than ever because of favorable conditions and trends that were not prevalent a few years ago:
- Initial pessimism in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma in September 2017 has dissipated. Damage sustained to the island's infrastructure is being repaired or rebuilt to new, higher standards. Existing resort & hotel properties are under recontruction, renovation & repair and exciting new projects have begun.
- The harbor facilities at Great Bay have been refurbished and improved for better servicing of the cruise industry, and cruise ship visitation is growing briskly on St. Maarten. Nearly 1.65 million cruise passengers visited St. Maarten in 2016.
- St. Maarten's Princess Juliana International Airport, which is served daily by international airlines from the US & Europe as well as charters, is currently undergoing repair & reconstruction due to hurricane damage and is scheduled for completion for the 2019/20 tourist season. This upgrade will return PJIA to its award winning position as a top Caribbean airport. The pre-clearance program for US visitors will improve the passenger experience and increase capacity.
- The local economy is revitalized. With the Philipsburg boardwalk and business renewals on Front Street after Irma visitors have more and better opportunities for beaching, shopping and dining.
- Construction financing and home mortgages are available at historically low interest rates for non-resident buyers & local residents. This has helped to create a favorable environment for building in both the primary and second-home markets as well as in resort development.
- Second-home, fractional,condominium buyers & residents are experiencing shortages in all residential real estate sectors due to the effects of Hurricane Irma.
- With 528,000 stay-over visitors in 2017 tourism is still booming. However, due to Hurricane Irma there is now a shortage of hotel & other accommodations on the Dutch side, with hoteliers forced to refer customers to other destinations for lack of rooms.
- The island government, with the assistance of the World Bank and the private sector have made massive reinvestment - at PJIA and the Port of St. Maarten as well as in businesses throughout the Dutch side that are giving St. Maarten an edge when competing for new outside investment capital.
In summary, the economic conditions on St. Maarten are conducive for major resort and residential development. With Pointe Esprit's ideal location and government approvals, a unique island community can be created with components that will attract full time residents, second home buyers and vacationing tourists. Local real estate brokers are bullish on sales potential because the build-out of this project can be accomplished while so many favorable conditions prevail.
Please go on to Immediate Homeowner Opportunities